What in the world is code-switching? And when/why do you do it?

12:00 PM


Code-switching happens so often that it's impossible to list all the situations that it occurs. One of the most common occurrences is when someone switches from speaking professionally on the phone to colloquially talking when they hang up. I remember laughing at my mom all the time when I was younger; she was a code-switching queen! At the time, however, I was unaware of the term. Who could've known that this was an actual phenomenon versus something moms just did? I mean, what the heck is a code and why are we switching it?

So, I've given you all the intro to code-switching; I've said the word a helluva lot, but I haven't told you what code-switching actually is. Like the example showcases above, when you code-switch, you change your behavior and speech (among other identifiers) based on your surroundings, who you're talking with, and your comfort level. When I speak about it, I am traditionally referring to how people of color have to code-switch between various communities. That's not the only type of code-switching, however; it can be as minor as speaking multiple languages or certain phrases you'd use with a particular group. Gene Demby sums up code-switching:

"Many of us subtly, reflexively change the way we express ourselves all the time. We're hos-scotching between different cultural and linguistic spaces and different parts of our own identities -- sometimes within a single interaction."

It's interesting when you really stop to reflect. Why do people code-switch and when do they primarily do it? On behalf of the black community, I can list a lot of events that we code-switch; for other communities, there are similar and additional events. Let's see:

  • Taking a phone call from a family member or friend at work
  • Going into a predominately white community
  • Talking to a boss
  • Speaking with anyone in authority
  • Playing with babies, puppies, or kittens
  • Going abroad to a country with a different language

These are not super obvious situations that one would expect code-switching to be occurring, but it is! Now, the lingering question is why anyone would do it? There are many reasons...

1. To feel more comfortable in a situation

I would not feel comfortable speaking with a potential employer like I would with my friends. This is a typical example of code-switching; everyone does it, whether its concious or not. 

2. To blend in more

As a person of color, I already stick out like a sore thumb. While I have been told that I am "the whitest black girl," that does not mean that I do not have traits and identifiers that are traditionally seen in the black community, such as slang and mannerisms. When I am around non-POC, I find myself switching how I talk about by limiting my slang usage, and my demeanor changes. 

3. To explain a thought or complete a sentence

I remember when I came back from Germany, I ridiculously forgot some English words, so I tended to speak Denglish whenever I couldn't remember a word in English. There are also words in German that do not translate to or cannot be described in English. 

4. To be secretive

One of my friends began to learn Italian in order to speak with her roommate in public and keep others out of the loop. I love it when people do this! My roommate and I did it sometimes because we both speak a bit of German. You can also see this when accents come out; sometimes thicker accents confuse or make understanding someone harder.


To read up more on code-switching, here are a few credible sources that I found helpful:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe