Can't Afford to Travel Abroad in College? Here's 4 Cheap Ways You Can.

11:00 AM


I have always found it funny how college students talk about being broke so much, yet it seems like they're the main ones traveling for spring break. Before I became a college student, I thought that this was impossible, and these people who were complaining were lying about something. Were they even really broke? Or did they photoshop themselves somewhere? Because how are you traveling - and why are you spending all the money that you have - if you are so broke? But now that I am a college student, I see the truth. You CAN travel abroad (or around the country) with limited funding. It's all about working the system and finding the best programs/funding opportunities for you!

1. Study Abroad with Your College (Short, Semester, or Year)

This option is the most expensive on this list, but it's probably much cheaper than you going abroad by yourself! When you decide to study abroad with your college, you open yourself up to many grants and scholarships that can help fund your trip. Keep in mind the type of program you choose, however, as some have strict itineraries, whereas others are free-as-you-please. 


2. National Student Exchange

I will be participating in NSE next Spring semester (2018). You'll be able to catch me in the US Virgin Islands, St. Thomas! (Fun, right?) The aspect that I love most about the National Student Exchange is how you can either pay your regular school tuition and room + board, or your host college's tuition and room + board. In my case, I will be paying the USVI, which works out perfectly because it's a bit cheaper than Iowa State. 

3. Spring Break Programs

Going abroad (or, in general) during Spring Break may seem like it'd be completely unaffordable; however, that's not true. If you choose a program (either through your school or a completely separate trip), you will receive some type of discount compared to doing it alone due to it's all-inclusivity. Student City is a great place to check out future trips and prices.

4. Go With Friends + Split Everything

When I went to Chicago for a weekend, my friends and I split literally everything: hotel costs, gas, food, drinks, etc. This helped everyone financially; at the end, I spent less than $100 dollars for an entire weekend in Chicago. If you are going abroad, however, the only separate price that you would have to foot would be airfare. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe