Dear Dark Skin Girls,

11:00 AM

There is so much that I want to tell you right now. 
  • You're beautiful.
  • Your skin is beautiful.
  • You're not beautiful "for a dark skin girl."
  • You do not need to stay out of the sun this summer. 
  • You do not need to be afraid to get darker this summer.
  • You do not need to lighten your skin.
I know that all of this was sudden, but I am so overcome with emotions that I did not want to fester any longer. Dark skin should be embraced, yet, in society, it's not (or it goes to the other extreme by becoming a fetish). Once upon a time, I disliked my beautiful chocolate arms; I wondered why I had long, sun-kissed legs seemed less feminine because of its muscular structure; I didn't understand that my natural skin was a super long kiss from the sun. Dark skin was never considered "exotic," circa the desire of "foreign girls" a couple years ago. Everyone seemingly wanted a thick redbone. It was always team light skin versus team dark skin -- I'll leave you to figure out who naturally came out on top. Dark skin was not something to be desired.

But it's time. It's time that dark skin starts being appreciated for its innate beauty. There is no competition between skin tones; all tones have their own beauty. I need you to understand that you do not need skin lightening cream; what you need to do is hold your head up, take care of your beautiful glow, and not let society knock you down. I do not want you to shed a tear over the dark skin that God bestowed upon you. Do not let a foolish guy (or girl) let you think that you are beautiful in spite of your skin. You are beautiful because of it. I'm talking about the beautiful cocoa brown, the gorgeous honey nut, the deep, warm black. 

You beautiful chocolate girls and women, embrace your skin. After all, you only have one. Do not tolerate colorism; stand up for what you believe in. Never let your head fall, gorgeous. This self-confidence has to become the norm. I do not want my heart to break for any more little girls who grow up with a distaste for their own skin.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe