Best & Worst Books of 2016

10:00 AM


I am a bookworm, through and through. There's nothing like picking up a good 'ole book and getting lost in it for the day. Rain, shine, snow, or hail - I'll always have a book with me. Last year, I set a goal on Goodreads to read at least 20 books. Proudly, I read 22. This year, I set a goal of 30, which I just hit. I'm currently reading Rush (Breathless, #1) by Maya Banks, so I might hit 31 books before the year is officially over.

Now, you might be thinking that these goals are nothing. Regardless, I'm proud of myself because of how much I forced myself to read, despite having such a busy schedule. During 2017, I plan to read at least 40 books. While I do have a busy schedule, I do recognize that I find time to watch Netflix and Hulu, so there isn't really an excuse for me to not reach my book goal. So, my goal is to limit my screen time and substitute it for reading time.

Now let's get to it. Here are my favorite (and least favorite) books that I read this year. It's a mix of romance, crime, thriller, erotica, and action. Feel free to follow me on Goodreads.


Most Favorite

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
This book was unbelievably unique and awesome; it kept my attention throughout the entire thing. It's a little bit (ahem -- a lot of bit) crazy, full of suspense, and will really have you anxiously waiting to see what happens next; nevertheless, it's worth it. Do not let the title or cover fool you. This is a book that you definitely will want to read.
 
The Pact by Jodi Picoult
This was another book that will have you anxious to see what happens next. It's a peculiar case of loving someone too much, and Jodi definitely hit it right on the head. It took me forever to finish reading this one, though, but that was my own fault (seriously, guys, college is a *insert profanity here*). Once I finished reading this gem, I fell in love with Jodi's writing and everything about this book. And to think that I randomly chose this book at the thrift store. 

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks 
First of all, I absolutely adore Nicholas Sparks and all of his books, no matter how cliche they get. There is something about love and Nicholas' writing that draws me to his books. I got The Guardian from a book-sale at the library, and I immediately wanted to read it because of how enticing it sounded. I never could have imagined how much my heart would swell from reading this. It was a little bit crazy, a little bit adorable, and a little bit heartbreaking. 

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
If you love crime novels, this is a great one to read! I remember when I was about to sign up for a book club, this was the book they were initially going to send me. In the end, I didn't; however, I found this book at Dollar General (really!) for $3, and I was immediately sold. Regardless of the price, though, this book drew me in from the description all the way to the cover. The thing is -- about this book -- you cannot expect it. It was oddly familiar yet new, and this ranged from the setting to the characters to the plot. I absolutely loved it.

After You by Jojo Moyes
I wanted to add Me Before You to this list as well, but I technically read that in 2015. But I'm going to speak on both books - FREAKING AMAZING. They make my heart experience all types of emotions and I don't know how to feel about that. In Me Before You, I cried, smiled, laughed, and went through the whole nine. In After You, I think my emotions were trying to get back on my good side because I did not cry, but I did feel hope and love and faith. (And please, please, please do not  base any commentary on MBY on the movie. It was good, but the book was far better.)

Least Favorite

Bared to You by Sylvia Day
I overall enjoyed the book, but it there were far too many moments where I wanted to stop reading because of how much it lacked a plot. It was also far too similar to Fifty Shades of Grey; the only difference was the better development and interest of and in the characters, which I greatly appreciated. I will be continuing with the series, nevertheless.

Looking for Alaska by John Green
The ending of this book drove me nuts! The premise of this book seemed like it would be good, but I personally feel like it lacked. While I wanted to fall in love with Look for Alaska, the beginning was slow, the middle was blase, and the ending made me want to throw the book out of the window like in Silver Linings Playbook.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe