College Students' Packing Guide for Christmas Break

10:00 AM


Christmas break is quickly coming up, and as a college student, I am more than ready. College is great, don't get me wrong; it's just exhausting and stressful. I'm not really complaining because it's school, and hello, school is never a walk in the park. However, a break never hurt anybody, so bring it on! 

For those who go to college out-of-state, this post is specifically for you. Having to a catch a flight back home is quick and convenient, but it's really annoying because of our luggage limit (unless you don't mind paying money to check in additional luggage). I'm flying back home to Michigan on the 17th, and I only plan to bring a carry-on and a backpack. Normally, I would be panicking. Three weeks away from my "home" would be a nightmare because of how limited I'd be with my clothes and toiletries. But flying back home from college isn't stressing me out this time - luckily - because I know that if I cannot bring something or happen to forget something, I'm going home. I can just buy it there. While that is typically the truth for wherever you go, I get much more relaxed when I know that I'll be back in my comfort zone and not just anywhere. It makes everything much easier.

I know that everyone isn't like me, and some of you guys are probably stressing out while trying to pack now. I have your back! Follow this list below, and you'll be packed and ready to go in no time!

1. Sweatpants, Yoga Pants, and Leggings

Unless you live on the West Coast or Down South, you definitely want to pack sweatpants and any other type of comfortable, warm pants that you can. Not only will you live in these over break, but you will also appreciate the fact that you brought them when you are freezing or just want to be comfortable. 

2. Sweatshirts and Long-Sleeve Tops

Bring clothes that can easily be layered. This helps to save space because you're not going to be over-packing the heavier items as layers = warmth. 

3. 1 Pair of Boots and 1 Pair of Flats

Most likely, it will be snowing when you return home. Even if it isn't, it'll be cold. You do not need to bring a million pairs of shoes with you. Bring a comfortable pair of boots (matter of fact, wear them on the plane) and stuff a pair of flats in your suitcase. Also, make sure these shoes are something that you can wear with all of your outfits! Versatility is key when it comes to smart packing.

4. Miss Out on the Toiletries 

Toothpaste and toothbrush? Lotion? Any of the things that you can by for cheap when you get back home, don't pack it. This will save you space and the headache of trying to find the right size bottle that can make it past TSA. I guarantee you that your family will not let you walk around with morning breathe and will provide you with what you need. 

5. 1 Nice Dress/Suit

It's the holidays! There will most likely be at least one party that you'll want to attend, and for that, you will need something other than sweatpants and a crew-neck. Take something that can attend any type of party (also, consider what shoes you packed). 

6. Save space for any potential gifts!

Once again, you're going home for Christmas break (unless your religion says otherwise), so you will most likely be getting at least one gift. Just in case this gift is something that you absolutely want to take back to college with you, do not pack your suitcase to the brim. Keep it cut down to the basics! Also, you can stuff any gifts that you are bringing back for your family/friends in this space, and when you give them out, you automatically have saved space!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe