Tips for Photographing Cats

9:43 PM


Photographing people and animals are two different ballgames. Not similar at all. Well, let me not completely cross out similarities. It's just that animals can be extremely difficult to take pictures of. Even children are easier to photograph (unless, of course, they get distracted easily; then they are just as difficult as animals). Nevertheless, I love the challenge of getting that photo. If you are willing to be patient and practice, photographing animals (pets, in particular) is extremely rewarding. In this article, I want to share with you all some tips for photographing your feline friends. I'll touch on photographing canines and wildlife in a separate post.

Cats are unique creatures. They seem to defy the laws of gravity; they are extremely stubborn and seemingly enjoy ignoring their humans (and making sure the humans know that they are being ignored); they also sleep a heck of a lot. But they are also unique in terms of looks and personality. Because of these of this, you need to prepare to photograph them. Here are some tips below that I've found works well for me:



1. Do not pose, pose, pose.

This is mostly because the cat won't let you. At all. So if you had any sort of idea about posing the cat you are seeking to photograph, get it out of your head. Cats tend to do the opposite of what we want, so if you try to pose them, they will get up and run around. Or simply away from you. The only time you should pose is if its human is holding him/her. Then, feel free to. 

2. Have a box or a play area for them to crawl/hide in/behind.

You want the cat's personality to shine through, and that normally happens when they have toys to play with. What the cat might do is never for-sure, so you have to be prepared for everything. My cat, in particular, loves to run and drag balloons behind him, but he also enjoys crawling into his mini roll-around thing. You can get them active or away. And when you disturb their "away" place, you'll get interesting stares. 

3. Have places/things that the cat can peek behind.

I love photos of cats peeking behind walls, blankets, or purses. Check out some of my favorites here. And if you are lucky enough (or simply learn how to play their game), you will be able to get photos of them pouncing out at you after. My cat loves to do that!

4. Have something noisy or with a unique sound to catch their attention.

If the cat is distracted, the best way to get its attention is to make some noise. I can easily distract my cat with a bag of treats {but don't tease!} or scratching my jacket. Figure out what that cat is tempted by and use it to your advantage! Do not tease the cat though, that is really important.

5. Be quick!

Cats, once again, I stress, get distracted very easily. They do not want to please the human. Unlike their canine counterparts, cats think that humans are there for them. Do not get me wrong, I love felines. I have one of my own. All I am saying is that they are extremely spoiled! To them, it's their way or the highway. So be very quick or else you might miss that good shot.

6. Be prepared to move.

If your cat is not sleeping, then they are most likely moving. And if they are moving, woah buddy, it will be hard to stop them. If you are familiar with cats, then you know how sporadic their energy bubbles can be. So be prepared to be a "stalker" or "paparazzi" for the session.

7. Get down.

Photographing a cat at its level gives you much better photos. The cat does not look dwarfed out; they will look their actual size. Or, if you can, get below eye-level with the cat. My cat has a playscape, so when he is on that, I try to snap photos above, which makes him look larger.

8. Do not use flash, if you can help it.

Try to photograph in natural light. That is your best friend, in all types of photography. Typically, when you photograph indoors, your ISO is super high. Natural light will help combat that! Make use of what you have and seriously try to avoid flash. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe