Tips for the Portrait Photographer

12:34 PM


On my photography portfolio, I introduce myself as a portrait and pet photographer by day and a wildlife and nature photographer by night. I love each photography genre individually because of the respective characteristics and opportunities brought about. Portraits: seeing a person's or family's personality shine through the camera. Pet: working with animals and letting their personality shine through. Wildlife: the spontaneity of animals in their natural habitat and the awesome feeling I get after getting some good shots. Nature: seeing the earth at its purest and simply being out in the elements make me happy. If I were to rank my preference for these genres today, I do not think that I could do it. I love each one for different reasons, and I think that getting rid of one would make me feel bad.
However, I do partake in shooting one genre more than the others. I have been taking more portrait shots lately as I build my portfolio and try to create a side business while I am in university. Wildlife, nature, and pet shots come second, as a more relaxing type of photography for myself. 
Below are some articles and blog posts that I have recently read pertaining to portrait photography. Give them a read!

1. How to Find Great Backgrounds for Outdoor Portraits

I prefer taking portrait pictures outside in nature or urban areas. This post by Andrew Gibson, over on Digital Photography School (one of my go-to photography blogs) shares tips on how to find the best places to snap some good portrait shots in the great outdoors. You don't always see picture-perfect spaces upon first glance; sometimes, putting on your photographer's eyes will change a space in a moment. Give this post a read and garner some inspiration!

2. 6 Ways to Take a Candid Portrait of Somebody You Know

I am the type of photographer that values candidness over all else. Sure, I enjoy nice, posed shots (but if we're being realistic here, plenty of the "candid" shots are actually posed), but candid shots provide more insight into a person's personality. This post, also shared on DPS, details ways to get the best candid shots out of people. So give it a read if you're as into it as I am!

3. 5 Tips for Taking Better Portraits in Nature

Need I say more? Also over on DPS (okay, guys, this list is turning into a fan-girl type thing of a blog), this post will help you figure out how to get the best portrait shots of people outdoors, specifically in nature with tons of trees and water and colors and just the pure earth.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe