A Mini-Guide of Urbino, Italy: Where to Eat

6:00 AM


Before I decided to study abroad in Italy, Urbino was a city that never came up in a conversation. Anytime I heard or spoke about Italy, the most popular cities were defaulted to: Florence, Rome, Naples (or the general Amalfi Coast), or Milan. It’s unbelievable that I did not hear about many of the other cool cities Italy has to offer. Obviously that’s the trick: Europeans know about these beautiful towns, but anyone else is left to wonder unless you do careful research. For instance, Rimini is a popular town off the Adriatic Coast, and it’s not that small either, so why hadn’t I heard of that? Or what about Sperlonga, a seaside town between Rome and Naples? Urbino was one of these great, historical cities that I feel should be talked about more when conversing about Italy. (I mean, it only is apart of the Pazzi Conspiracy, which is beyond interesting!)

I think taking the time to learn about non-traditional “popular” cities in countries can lead to a better cultural understanding and might even promote a better trip to whatever your destination is. Because of this (and how popular Italy is), I wanted to share a a mini-guide to some Italian cities that might not be as well-known as the larger, touristy places. Urbino is the first place I want to share with you all, simply because I have been living here for the past few months, and I think it is really underrated. I will be breaking these guided series into different posts, however, so that it doesn’t become oversaturated and too long.

Part One of this my mini-guide of Urbino is going to focus on food. After all, when I think of Italy, I think of food!

Eat Through Urbino

There are a lot of different places to grab food in Urbino. Tell me—do you have a taste for pizza, fine-dining, gelato, crepes, or chicken?

Pizza



  1. Noi & Voi: This is my favorite pizzeria in town. It’s right up the hill as you walk into the city. Luckily, it’s only half-way up the hill, which is great when climbing a steep hill for food isn’t your thing. The great thing about Noi & Voi is that they are cheap, willing to cut your pizza in slices (as you’ll quickly learn in Italy, pizza comes uncut), and will add sauce to anything that they originally don’t put it on (as long as you ask). Make note that they only take cash. Take-away and dine-in are both available. 
  2. La Terrazza Del Duca: This was the very first place I had pizza in Italy. It’s so delicious and a great price. You can find this restaurant at the bottom of the hill that leads into town; it’s right above a cafe. To go inside, you have to take the stairs to the right of the building. The only caveat is that they only open for dinner (after 7 p.m), so you are limited to when you can indulge. If you plan to go here with only 1-2 people, you might bode well with just dropping in and asking for a seat, but if you have a larger group, definitely call and make a reservation. Also note that they will only take cash (their card machine is a hit-or-miss). Take-away and dine-in are both available.
  3. Il Ghiottone: My friend dragged me to this pizzeria when it first opened. It’s located at the very top of the hill going into town. My first impression was that it’s tasty, but not my favorite. A lot of my friends really enjoyed it, however. I ordered the diavola (a salami pizza), but it came without sauce, which I didn’t realize, so make sure to note that if you eat here and want a pepperoni-style pizza. Their Margherita was really good, though, so that’s what I get when I eat there. The great thing about Il Ghiottone is that you can dine in, take-away, or get it delivered to you! Not many places deliver in Urbino, but that’s simply apart of the Italian culture, where you sit and eat. They will take cash or cards. 
  4. Locanda Del Blasone: To find this restaurant/pizzeria, you have to walk past the piazza, make a left down the first street, and walk straight (down some steps). I went here with a group of 14, and they accommodated us really well. You should always make a reservation at any restaurant you go to whenever you have a group as large as that. They will be happy to seat you, but it’s courteous to give them time to prepare! I absolutely adored the pizza here. I’m finding that not every pizza is create equal (even if it looks similar), and this one made the cut. Note that they do not speak English at this restaurant, so when it comes time to pay the bill, it’d be better to have one person handle it and be reimbursed. 

Fine-Dining


  1. Ristorante Taverna La Fornarina: This restaurant is a little bit before you reach the top of the hill going into town. They are known for their amazing risotto, and I concur! I’ve never had risotto as delicious as I did there. I recommend their asparagus risotto; although I hate mushrooms, I also tried that risotto and it was surprisingly delicious. This is a great place to celebrate an occasion or just to go somewhere for a really nice meal. The staff here is great and super friendly, so don’t worry if your Italian isn’t the best; they will still be great help to you.
  2. La Balestra: This is both a pizzeria and restaurant. I prefer their regular food, however, especially their pasta! Located not too far from the piazza or Ducale Palace, this is a fantastic place to pop in for dinner. You need to make a reservation because they will quickly fill up. Also note that their pizzeria is not open on Wednesdays, and when they do make pizza, it’s after 7:30 p.m. Try the wine that they have there, too, because it’s typically from the Marche region that Urbino is in. I’m not a huge wine fan, and I can still say that it’s great.

Gelato & Crepes 


  1. Sorbetto del Duca: I’m basically a regular at this Gelateria. It’s well-kept, has adequate seating, and makes really good gelato. It’s also huge that it’s located right at the top of the hill, directly by the piazza, so business is always good. My favorite gelato here is fragola (strawberry), so I recommend trying that if you stop by. The prices are fairly cheap; for a piccolo cone or cup, you can get 2 scoops of any flavor of gelato for 2.20 Euro. They also serve crepes here, which are really popular.
  2. Puro & Bio: This is my absolutely favorite Gelateria in Urbino! All of the gelato is organic. Whichever flavor you choose, you will be able to taste the quality and richness. My favorite flavors here are fragola (strawberry) and limone (lemon). While the prices here are a bit higher than the first Gelateria, it’s definitely worth it! For a piccolo (small) cone or cup, you will get 2 scoops for about 2.50 Euro. Please note that the earlier in the year you come, they will either be closed or have limited flavors available. They really start serving all flavors around mid-April, early-May. Their menu also includes things like hot chocolate, waffles, and tons of chocolate. To find this place, head to Porta St. Lucia, and it will be right by the arch leading into town. 

Cafes 


  1. Caffe’Basili: Located right in the piazza, this was the first cafe I visited in Urbino. Most cafes will serve aperitivo (an Italian classic), so I recommend going here for that, as well as their delicious pastries and coffee. The staff here is beyond nice, and you can find any space you want to hang out. There’s space outside, in front, of the cafe, on the immediate inside, in the back of the cafe, and an outside space in the back, with sofas and a couch. The prices here are also reasonable nice, so you don’t have to worry about breaking the bank for a quick snack. 
  2. Sugar Cafe: I might be a little biased when writing about this one cafe, but it’s my absolute favorite. Giovanni and his brother run this place, and they are two of the nicest people you will meet in Urbino. While this cafe is pretty tiny, it gets super busy with locals and college students. Giovanni is the man to talk to if you want to know any or everything about Urbino, its residents, or whats going on in Italy. He speaks both English and Italian, so have fun talking to him. I highly recommend going there for aperitivo, but if you want to stop by for dinner, let him know and he will gladly cook you something! My favorite dish of his is the potatoes during aperitivo. Everyone goes there just for that. You can find a space to sit outside of the cafe or inside. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe