3 Tips for How To Rock Your First Children's Photoshoot

10:00 AM

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to have my first kid photoshoot. It was a five-year-old boy, who is interested in modeling. His mom is a co-worker of my aunt, so her business came along by word-of-mouth. She asked me on the day of my open house whether I take portrait shots, so I showed her some of my previous work, and after about only five photos, she hired me on-the-spot. That was a pretty awesome moment. 
Sometimes, it is easy for me to question myself and my work. I take a lot of pride in my photography, and I am always so nervous that others may not see it like I do or like it. But lately, I have become more and more confident in showing my work to people and being proud of what I do. I have a far way to go, but I'm pretty happy where I am right now, too. 
To see the entire album, check out my client site

Tip #1

Check out all of the basics. By basics, I am referring to weather, clothing (both you and the child's), timing, location, and possible distractions. Although Braelyn was the first child that I have ever photographed (non-casually), I realized that taking pictures of children is far harder than taking pictures of anything else I have. Even nature shots tend to be a bit smoother.

However, the end result is very rewarding and the shoot can be extremely fun. Just make sure that you are dressed well, and try to choose a day where the weather is neither too hot or too cold. The day that I had this shoot was one of the hottest days in Michigan, and it was ridiculous trying to get anyone to focus. We also went to a huge park, where there were a lot of kids and play areas and a splash pad, so imagine how distracting that is for a kid. Prepare for those instances and how to counteract any "but I wanna go there instead!" moments.


Tip #2


Plan, plan, plan. It is very important (especially the younger the child) to know what you want to photograph and where. I say this because when a child has a lower attention span (so many distractions!), it is better to know what you want to get beforehand so that the shoot can go by quickly. As soon as we both arrived, Braelyn's mom and I figured out what outfits Braelyn would wear based on where we were shooting. That helped expedite the in-between times so that Braelyn would not have too long to sit and get restless.


Tip #3

Do not be afraid to interact with the children! I did a little bit of everything to try to get nice photos of Braelyn. Even if that means running with them (no matter how much you may feel like passing out), striking a pose to help encourage them, or simply talking with them. Do not just tell the kids to "do this and that." It will make it harder for both you and them. Let their personality shine with a bit of interference from you, and the shoot will be much better.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe