What to Do When You Come to Detroit

8:00 AM



Michigan, oh Michigan, how I love thee. As I get closer and closer to moving away from my home state, my love for it continues to grow. Once upon a time, if you would have asked me where I would prefer to live, my answer would've been, "Anywhere but Michigan." But now my answer would completely change. The mitten state is not only where I was born and raised, it is also where I have learned more about myself and my history, where I have met some of the greatest people, and where I will always have roots. This state is beautiful. We have The Great Lakes, Mackinaw Island, the city that embodies Christmas year round, and delicious cherries! 

Yes, Michigan's weather is confusing (what do you want? two or four seasons, man, make up your mind already!). Yes, there are things about Michigan that I'd change if I could. But there is nothing that makes me happier than saying that I am a Michigander (and better yet, a Detroiter). I'll say it loud and proud.  

There are a lot of itineraries floating around when it comes to visiting cities in Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula (UP). You'll find some for Munising, Grand Rapids, Mackinaw, and Houghton. I highly recommend that you check those cities out; you'll find amazing waterfalls, historical sites, camping sites, lighthouses, and more. It's a real sight to see. But there is another side of the state that is commonly forgotten about when writing about places to visit during a trip to Michigan (unless you're a huge sports fan). I'm talking about cities like Detroit, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Royal Oak, Farmington, Frankenmuth, and Lansing. So, because of the lack of guides for places such as these, I figured I would share with you all where I would take you if you were to visit Michigan. Here's my guide for Detroit, which was named #9 on the New York Times' list of places to visit in 2017. (Watch out for future guides for Metro Detroit cities!) 

Detroit Riverwalk  

I would take you to the Riverwalk in Downtown Detroit. It provides the perfect view of Windsor, Ontario; during the summer months, you will see a carnival, fireworks at times, and a beautiful skyline, which is pretty nice. I mean, how many other places in America can you see what's happening over in Canada while still in the US? Very few. Aside from the gorgeous view of Canada and the Detroit River, there are tons of shops, restaurants, bars, and museums nearby. The Renaissance Center (General Motor's headquarter) is also right behind the boardwalk, so it's very convenient if you have to use the restroom, are hungry (there is an entire food court available as well as some more expensive dining choices), or want to meet with Santa during the holiday season.
 
There are also a ton of festivals and events going on at the Riverwalk. It's really fun! There is always live music, the Detroit Princess to ride, water jetting out of the sidewalk, sometimes booths (like during a culture festival), and during RiverDays, there are boats to climb on, carnival rides, fireworks, and Husky dogs (Winter Blast). Depending on what time of year it is, Downtown Detroit provides an abundance of activities to participate in. So, if you are planning on coming to Michigan, do some research and take your pick! 

Mexican Town

I love Mexican Town! This area is full of delicious food and an entirely different culture than the one found primarily in Detroit and its metropolitan areas. The part that I'd like to dwell on is the food, though. Trust. Me. If you come to Michigan, please do yourself a favor and visit Mexican Town. When you go there, I highly recommend Xochimilco as your first restaurant to eat at. It is my favorite restaurant, and I am putting it against all other restaurants, whether it's American, Chinese, Italian, or Greek. I highly recommend that you eat a bunch of their free chips and spicy salsa, and then buy the beef burritos with cheese on top and double rice. As for drinks, because I am a minor I stick to the Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri, which I absolutely love.

After you leave Xochimilco, make your way down one block (by foot) and taste your way through La Gloria Bakery. They have delicious bread and little treats that you do not want to miss out on. Yum. Then, and I apologize for having you walk so much, walk back down a block and to the antique shop next to Xochi's (Xochi's Mexican Imports). GO IN THERE.  You will be able to find some really cute and unique Mexican antiques.

Now - and this is if you would like the genuine Mexican and not Americanized food that Mexican Town can provide - drive to Mexican Town bakery on Vernor's Hwy (a street over from Xochi's) and eat one of their sweets. You'll thank me. I ordered my cake from them for my 16th birthday, and I honestly had never had a cake so delicious. And if you get hungry again, try one of the most authentic and delicious Mexican restaurants down there: Taqueria El Rey. Their chicken tacos are a God-send! Plus, their tacos start at only $1.50 (corn shell - highly recommended over flour); however, they are cash-only! 

Greek Town

While you are here, you definitely need to go to Astoria Pastry Shop (also available in Royal Oak, but this one is the first and best) and Pizza Papalis. They are both on the same block, so it'll be really easy to hop from one to the other (NO EXCUSES). The best order is probably Pizza Papalis and then Astoria's because the latter is a desert shop. At Pizza Papalis, I always order their lasagna with extra cheese and sauce; my sister orders their pizza, which, I cannot deny, is mouthwateringly delicious.

After you leave Pizza Papalis, head on over to your right and into the doors of Astoria, a Michigan-based pastry shop. They sell treats like Baklava, Macaroons, Danishes, Cupcakes, Cannolis, and Cookies. (Menu - note that not everything is available) Whenever I go, I head straight towards the Nutella Macaroons. Oh god. Imagine taking a bite and having your eyes roll to the back of your head from the savory taste. I'm telling you, buy that darn macaroon. You can thank me later.

The DeQuindre Cut

If you are into photography like me, then this will be your urban heaven! The DeQuindre Cut is a 1.15-mile area that is popular among photographers in the city. There are walls full of graffiti, bicycle paths, and space for the casual jogger/pedestrian. You will also find little work-out areas throughout the cut as well as some lovely greenery.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe