I'm Not An Oreo: My Identity

3:10 PM


I have a question for you all. It's pertaining to a recent experience that I have had (although I have technically been dealing with it for a long time already). The more times I have to deal with the ignorance that I am going to mention in this piece, the more I get bothered and upset. Everyone who really knows me understands how passionate I am about social and racial issues. So for me to have been dealing with this racial and offensive issue for so long, it is odd that it's taken me so long to write about it. But that's what I'm doing now. Share your experiences or thoughts in the comments below! I'd love to connect and discuss with you all.

Before we continue with the bulk of this post, let's define race: race is a social construct that was created by society to create a hierarchy. 

What makes someone a race? Specifically, what makes someone black?

I ask this question because I, apparently, am not black enough. Ever since middle school, I have been called an Oreo, which is a derogatory term used to single out black people for not behaving like a stereotypical black person, or for not liking traditional "black"  things. Now, what are qualities that can get you classified as an Oreo, you ask? Oh - it can be little things, such as listening to Country music, speaking proper English, and dressing "like a white person." Nothing major; it's the simple things in life that can suddenly make you lose your identity.

So, referencing those aforementioned examples, what do you think? Does the way you speak make you black, white, Asian, Pacific Islander, or Native American? Is the music you listen to the actual identifier? Or what about the clothes you wear or how you wear those clothes? Or, just maybe, it's determined by who you date? Or possibly your friend group - whether it's diverse or not?

It's important for me to know because, honestly, I am exhausted of being told that I am the "whitest black person" that someone has ever met.  Or that I am not "really" black? Or that I'm just not black enough. I cannot even count on two hands how many times those statements have been made to or about me. And to this day, I still do not know what to say back because material things do not identify you. Material things do not make you who you are. Who I am is a black woman in America that would really appreciate it if people would keep their ignorant remarks to themselves. No one will get a rise out of me when they say that I do not act black or that I simply have the wrong skin tone. I will not stop being who I am and enjoying what I do and what I like because someone else wants me to fit into the stereotypical black person identity. 

I identify as black. I love being black. I have always been black. I will forever be black. 

I am not upset and bothered because being called white hurts my feelings. It doesn't. There is nothing wrong with being white. But what does bother and upset me is that white it is not a part of my identity. What bothers and upsets me is being told that I am not enough of a certain way to claim my identity. I've been raised to love myself and who I am. It's been a long road (and I'm only 18) to self-love, but I am finally here and constantly working on myself. Identity is huge to me! My race is one demographic that I use to identify myself. So, for those who think that it's okay to call someone an Oreo or tell them that they do not fit in or that they are not "enough" to claim their identity or that they're not "really" who they identify, it's not okay. It's hurtful. It's upsetting. It's sad. 

And I recognize now that these any friends of mine will not use derogatory terms like Oreo. My friends will not try to make me question any part of my identity. What real friends do is accept one another for who they are, what they like, and other quirks and unique qualities. 

What are your thoughts? Have you ever been told that you are not enough of a certain way so you cannot possibly identify as something? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe