Tips for a Study Abroad Interview

9:30 AM


Fear is a pretty accurate word to describe how I felt on the day of my Youth for Understanding interview. It was the day after New Years (2015). I had never been on an interview before, so I was pretty unsure about how it would go. Would I be criticized horribly? Would I be asked questions about myself that I hardly even know the answer to? My adrenalin was horrible that day. I was a nervous wreck. But, now, in hindsight, I question why I was ever so nervous. The interview went fine. But that's the thing: perspective changes everything. Now that I have a little bit, I want to share with you guys what I did to prepare for the interview, what worked/was worth it, and what you can do to 1) stay calm and 2) do well.

Prepare a Few Days in Advance

I actually procrastinated on preparing for the interview because I was so nervous. Instead of giving myself a week to prepare like I originally intended, I gave myself about two days. I'd say that doing that worked out for the best. Not only did I feel very prepared during the interview (although I hardly needed what I prepared for), I was able to learn quite a lot about Youth for Understanding simply through research. {Did you know that they are the oldest study abroad program as well as the most accredited?} Knowing something about the program that you are interviewing for will help you with your responses as you want it to mold well with the purpose (but always stay truthful!). 

When I prepared for the interview, I looked up a lot of study abroad interview questions. {One that I looked at was this.} I recommend you do this because there will be similar questions. If you want to calm yourself down a bit and not be worried about being caught off guard, do this. While it is fine to think about key points that you'd like to hit on if that question is asked, do not create a monologue as an answer. When I say monologue, I mean do not sound practiced. That will sound dishonest, regardless to if you are being truthful or not. 

Know Your Essays

While it is not necessary to know what you wrote verbatim, you should definitely know the main ideas of your essay responses. For instance, if one of the essay questions was "Describe your relationship with your family, and tell your role," then know that response. Hopefully, you were honest in your essay because that will make things much easier. It's okay if you do not say exactly what you said in your essay. That's not the point! The point is that you do not want to say something completely opposite than what you wrote. I am unsure if the interviewer sees your essays or what, but you do not want to contradict yourself. That will make them question your integrity, and I think we can all agree that is not a good thing.

Ask Your Own Questions

Do not be afraid to be inquisitive. Youth for Understanding wants to know whether you are genuinely interested. With interest comes questions. Asking questions can also lead to another subject to another one, and the conversation will become more natural. The more natural the conversation, the more at ease you will become, and the more the interviewer will be able to gauge who you really are and what your personality it like. When people are nervous, sometimes they can give off a false persona. If you want to get placed in a good matched host home, let the interviewer know you.

Answer Questions Honestly

This is a big mistake that some people make when applying and interviewing for a study abroad program. They may tweak the truth a little bit and answer how they think they should answer versus how they really feel. They do this because they think if they are more open and willing, they will most definitely be placed. While it is true that if you are more open the chances of you getting a host family is better, the chances of you being placed somewhere that you absolutely despise are even greater if you are not transparent. If you know that you cannot stand babies, then do not say that you will be okay living with a host family with newborns. If you have asthma, do not say that you can live with smokers. {Granted, that one is a bit more difficult to get around. If anything,  you can say that you are willing to stay with them as long as they do not smoke around you.}  The exaggerations that you once used to guarantee you a spot in the program will only make your stay unpleasant for both you and your host family.

Talk to the Parents + Students There

At the interview site, there will be current and old exchange students around. Talk to them. They will be able to give you insight on how it feels to live somewhere completely foreign. While everybody has different experiences, you will still be able to get advice and tips. Also, if there are host parents, which there most likely will be as some of them tend to volunteer and interview students, talk to them, too. Have a parent talk to them as well while you are in your interview. My mom talking to a host parent is what urged me to apply for the semester abroad in Germany. I originally interviewed for a summer in either Spain or Italy, but lo and behold, I went to Germany!

Questions You May Be Asked

  • What are some extracurricular activities that you enjoy doing?
  • What is your role at home?
  • How many siblings do you have, and what is your relationship with them? (Parents, too.)
  • Would you prefer to live in a suburban, rural, or urban area?
  • Would you prefer a host family with no kids, teens around your age, or older?
  • Could you live with a single dad? mom?
  • Why did you choose YFU?
  • Is this your first time away from home? out of your comfort zone?
  • Would you mind staying with a host family with pets?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe